Friday, February 26, 2010

Almost March.....

So... its after midnight on a Friday night and I missing my hubby. Derek is in Arkansas with his team gearing up for the SEC championships. I'm excited to hear how his athletes perform and hope for the best. I know their training has been going well and I KNOW Derek has them ready for some big marks. He always does.

I just had a relaxing night with a friend and my sister Katie (and the dogs... of course!). It is nice to unwind and "catch up" after a full week of work, training and running from place to place. It is so great to have Katie around, weather she realizes it or not, having her to talk to and knowing that she is there hang out with is so nice after two years of weekends alone. Its nice to know that I have other genuine people in my corner too, new friends to hang out with, beat me in scrabble and keep me grounded concerning work.

Training this week has been good. I had a strong week in the weight room. My front squats, cleans and snatches were all at or above my 1 rep max for sets! I really feel that I am headed in the right direction as far as weight room training is concerned. My jumping is improving as well, earlier this week I moved up to the "big girl" hurdles for jumps and I am confident that my power will continue to increase.

Throws have been going well. Earlier this week I was feeling sluggish in the circle and not connected with the hammer, even so my reps were dropping around the 61m mark. I am anticipating where things will be when I start to hit my competitive stride. In practice I can still feel that I am not reaching my top speed by turn four and I know that there is still more there. I am looking to begin competitive assessments in late March at LSU home meets to see what I need to focus on for the competitive portion of the season.

Good news! I am still considered to be one of the "funded" athletes via USATF! What a relief that I will be able to travel to several of the bigger meets and compete with the top throwers for USA's this spring. Other than those meets I will be competing at LSU several times and possibly Miami when Derek heads there with his team.

Tomorrow will be a high rep day and even in my sleepless stupor I am looking forward to it! It is a weird feeling to not be at the indoor USATF National meet this year, and I find myself looking at the rankings thinking "what if....". But... then I remember that I HATE THE WEIGHT and was only really throwing it to get a trip to Boston to see my folks.... now that thats out of the picture I can focus on the "real" event! I'm ready to spend some quality time in the ring in the morning! LOL! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment