Sunday, March 7, 2010

"Cowgirl Up"

It has been a long week. Sunday night came way too fast last weekend, but after I received the phone call that my coworker and friend Amanda Burns was killed in a motorcycle accident, suddenly time slowed to a grinding halt. Shocking news, terrible news, sad news. Like most of my coworkers I couldn't believe it at first. Mandy LOVED her life and was the type of person who was ALWAYS doing something fun. How can someone so young, so vibrant, be gone? On several occasions last spring/early summer I had been invited to join Amanda horseback riding. I am so glad that I took her up on those offers, because the days I spent at her ranch, enjoying the outdoors, good company and sharing in her love for horses, are some of the best that I have from Louisiana so far. I am thankful for the time I did get to spend with her and will miss Amanda very much in the days/years to come.
My workweek was a long one, helping the students through the tough emotional time, dealing with my own emotions and trying to still be an effective teacher made for an exhausting week. Training on the other hand went well, in fact I had quite possibly the best full week of training I have had in three years. My throws were smooth, technically sound, and going a reasonable distance, my power via hurdles was at a new level and I maxed in the clean and the squat for the first time in three years with huge success (clean 265 and squat 475! WHOOO!). I finally feel that I am returning to the level of fitness, strength and mental confidence I was before my car accident three years ago. It amazes me that it takes so long to recover from such trauma, and how often I felt embarrassed or wanted to quit. Derek's words of encouragement and reassurance that things would come back together are finally coming true, now it is time to put the marks out there to prove it.
It is interesting how dealing with emotional stress can help put things into perspective and provide additional fuel to motivate. This week I really felt like I was back into the mindset that I need to be to have HUGE throws. Watching the Olympic games the past few weeks has really helped to open my eyes to the DESIRE that each Olympian must contain. I could feel the passion when they spoke and as soon as they put the skis on, stepped onto the ice or stood ready at a gate I could see within their eyes the passion and fire of determination. Nothing could stand in their way. Mental, physical and emotional condition all contributed to an athletes success. Every gold medalist that I witnessed all had one thing in common. They believe that they would have that they are an Olympian at heart and they believe that they could win GOLD! Somehow three years ago I lost that mentality after my accident. I became more concerned with what I didn't have or how to be "friendly" that I lost focus on my own goals, and lost desire to BEAT people. Every practice, every throw, every meet is precious. Each one is a step towards my goal for 2012. As Amanda would say, I need to "Cowgirl Up" and get it done.

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear about your friend :(
    glad to hear that training is going well. miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amy. Good to hear from you. Miss you too! I miss the days of having a training "buddy" LOL. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete